Knoxville Open Water Swimmers (KOWS) and Tennessee Aquatics are proud to host the “Bridges to Bluffs” Open Water Swim. This is the only 10k swim in the country with an “off the boat” start and downstream swim with a two-person relay option. We are a U.S. Masters Swimming (USMS) sanctioned open water event (sanction number 157-W004).
Included with registration, swimmers and their kayakers (pilots) will be treated on Saturday to a pre-race dinner cruise on the Star of Knoxville (mandatory athlete/pilot meeting and course preview). Additional meal tickets will be sold beginning September 10th on a first come, first serve basis until the boat is full. Swimmers and guides will receive a quality race shirt, custom finisher’s award, post-race lunch, and race photos.
What you need to know:
There is a 4 hour cutoff for this event. Here are the times (on average) you need to understand before signing up:
4hr 10K swim = 38 minutes 37 seconds per mile for 6.2 miles.
This breaks down to a 2:12/100yd or 2:24/100m.
** Relay participants must individually register **
- Relay transition time is included in total race time.
- Swimmers must provide their own kayak or SUP. Kayak and SUP rentals are available through our sponsor, Billy Lush Board Shop, for B2B REGISTERED swimmers. Rented vessels will be delivered on race morning. Details will be provided in registration confirmation.
- ABSOLUTELY NO HEADPHONES/WATERPROOF IPODS ALLOWED.
- You must be a member of U.S. Masters Swimming (USMS) to register for the event. You can purchase one day membership for $20 with registration - relay participants must register separately.
- Price increase August 1.
- There will be a current! Water temps generally range from 70-76 degrees in September. More information concerning river conditions will be posted throughout the season on the "Bridges to Bluffs" Facebook page.
- All B2B registered participants will receive a special offer through "Crushing Iron" for a custom Training Peaks 10K Bridges to Bluffs Open Water Training Plan. Details provided in confirmation email.
- No refunds will be issued.
10K Relay: Wetsuits/tri kits/swim skins (Ironman swim regulations) are allowed for this swim. Swimmer #1 jumps from the boat and swims the first 5K to the relay exchange while swimmer #2 kayaks alongside for support. At the relay exchange, swimmers and pilots are allowed to exit to shore for wetsuit purposes and exchange gear. There will be plenty of volunteers on hand to assist. Swimmer #2 will complete the swim, with the traditional touch/slap/kiss of the finish arch.
10K Solo Swimmers: This race will follow English Channel swimming rules. This means: 1) No swim suits below the knees or shoulders; 2) No wetsuits or suits that provide buoyancy; 3) No swim aids; 4) There is to be no contact between you and your pilot's boat or other swimmers.
** All swimmers (relay and solo) must provide their own kayak or SUP and nutrition.
Need a relay partner? Looking for a kayak guide? Our “Bridges to Bluffs” Official Facebook Page is a great resource for up-to-date information.
Check out our course video and map below! See you in September!