Join J2HM for our 2nd annual 5K Run/Walk! This event will help bring awareness to a very common trait in the African-American community; Sickle Cell Trait.
Journey to Happiness Movement, Inc. (J2HM) is a 501c3 non-profit organization hosting its 2nd annual 'Journey to SCT Wellness 5K' Run/Walk to educate the community on Sickle Cell Trait (SCT) wellness and concerns that aren't being addressed thoroughly in the medical community. J2HM was founded in memory of Journey Bessai GyeNyame Butler, who succumbed to Renal Medullary Carcinoma (RMC), an extremely rare and aggressive cancer associated with SCT. Although cases of RMC aren't widely common, more and more people are being diagnosed everyday. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that in the state of Maryland nearly 2,400 infants were born with the sickle cell trait in a single year.
J2HM believes SCT carriers and their families should be educated on all ailments, symptoms and wellness tips associated with the trait. Through this event, your donations will help J2HM create, promote, and distribute educational materials for the sickle cell community, offer support to RMC patients via the RMC Support Group, fund our annual health fair, and advocate for SCT with local politicians.
REMEMBER: It's always fun to walk or run in groups, so sign up early to take advantage of the discounted pricing!
EVENT DETAILS: (RAIN OR SHINE)
- Cost: Students: $15, up to age 18 / Adult: $25 until August 31st
- Check-in will begin @ 8:00am
- Race will begin at 9:00am
- Parking: Buddy Attick Park (overflow can park on Crescent Road)
- Course: Start/End Point at Buddy Attick Park
- T-Shirts are included in the price. (If you register after September 13th, your t-shirt may not be available on the day of the event, but J2HM will make every effort to do so. If you register on the day of the event, t-shirts aren't guaranteed.)
- T-SHIRT SIZING CHART: https://www.customink.com/items/sizing/176100_lineup/standard.htm
- 5K COURSE MAP LINK: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1650054341 ***Course map will also be provided with your payment confirmation.